Law Offices of Christopher A. Benson, PLLC

Call For A Free Consultation

(253) 815-6940

Law Offices of Christopher A. Benson, PLLC

Q: I have a collection judgment against me. Can I File Bankruptcy For the Judgement and the Interest?

  • By: Christopher Benson
  • Published: March 2, 2014

Question: I have some collection judgments that were entered almost 10 years agao for $16,000. The interest on the judgment is now over $18,000. Can I file a bankruptcy and discharge all of it?

Answer from Christopher A. Benson:

As long as the underlying debt is not considered a “Non Dischargeable Debt” as defined by 11 U.S.C. 523 of the Bankruptcy Code , then the debt and all interest and attorney fees can be discharged in a Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 Bankruptcy.

The key factor for you will be whether you qualify to file a bankruptcy and if that is a good financial decision for you.

I highly recommend meeting with an experienced bankruptcy lawyer. I provide a free initial consultation to see if you qualify and also see what debts can be discharged in the bankruptcy case.

About the Author Chris served on the Board of Directors for Habitat for Humanity
Seattle/S. King County for 10 years and served as Vice President
of the organization during part of that time. Read More